Position: Executive Director
Reports to: Board of Directors
Work Location: Scalabrini Centre of Cape Town
Work Hours: Full time, 40 hours per week
The Scalabrini Centre of Cape Town’s vision is to foster the cultural, social and economic integration of migrants, refugees and South Africans into local society. Perceiving migration as an opportunity, the Scalabrini Centre of Cape Town is committed to alleviating poverty and promoting development in the Western Cape while fostering integration between migrants, refugees and South Africans. In providing our assistance, we advocate respect for human rights and use a holistic approach that considers all basic needs.
Inspired by the teachings and actions of John Baptist Scalabrini, the Scalabrini Centre of Cape Town offers a welcoming environment that is open to all and where each individual is valued and treated with dignity.
Guided by a sense of humility we promote respect for cultural diversity.
SCCT is looking for a suitably qualified candidate within South Africa for the position of Executive Director to lead and manage SCCT, to ensure it meets its strategic objectives.
The Executive Director is tasked to ensure the achievement of SCCT’s strategic objectives, through leading the organization, establishing and nurturing partnerships and leveraging funding that enables SCCT to implement innovative programmes that support Government policies and services and that promote the rights of all.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Strategic & Operational Planning
- Cooperate with the Board to develop a Strategic Plan for SCCT and ensure implementation of the organisation’s vision, mission, values and objectives.
- Ensure efficient and effective governance of SCCT, including the development of organisational policies and procedures that are understood by all staff and reviewed regularly.
- Ensure that the SCCT Board of Directors have the necessary, timely information for effective governance and compliance.
- Developing an appropriate organisational structure, defining role scopes and limits and levels of authority.
Administration & Financial management
- Work with the Financial Manager to ensure sound financial management in SCCT including predictable funding flows, proper financial controls and procedures
- Approve expenditure according to budgets, and negotiate changes to budgets with the finance sub-committee and funders when necessary
- Ensure that the appropriate budgets and reports are prepared as per funding agreements.
- Ensure that the office is administered efficiently and that all administrative systems, including correspondence and information systems, are functioning smoothly.
- Ensure compliance with statutory, governance and contractual obligations
Management of operations
- Ensure the development of annual operational plans and budgets for all programmes and effective implementation structures for the delivery of planned programmes.
- Develop and maintain efficient and effective internal systems, including appropriate organisational and programme performance monitoring systems, reporting and record keeping systems.
- Facilitate regular Management meetings for effective and efficient operational coordination.
- Ensure the ordinary maintenance of the building in 47 Commercial Street and interact with Scalabrini Fathers for the extraordinary maintenance.
Human resource management
- Lead the strategy to build and sustain a skilled, motivated team to reach the objectives of the organisation.
- Work with the HR Manager to facilitate the effective and professional management of staff in the organisation.
- Lead and direct the HR functions within the organisation to ensure the implementation of sound HR Practices, including Remuneration System, Recruitment, Performance Review Processes, Training and Development.
- Ensure that volunteer portfolio is managed within legislative frameworks.
Fundraising and Networking and Lobbying
- Ensure the long-term financial sustainability of the organisation through effective organisational fundraising and management of donor relationships, including hosting funder visits to the Centre.
- Co-ordinate and oversee all fundraising activities, including the development of funding proposals, negotiations with donors, reporting to donors.
- Establish and maintain strategic relationships with key stakeholders and organisations working in complementary fields
- Represent and promote SCCT at high level meetings and forums and interact with the Scalabrini International Migration Network (SIMN)
Required qualifications, skills and experience:
- Applicants must be a seasoned strategic Senior Manager with the ability to lead a team in effectively managing large complex multi-stakeholder programmes.
- Relevant tertiary qualification in the field of Human mobility.
- At least 10 years’ experience at Executive and Operational Management level in the NGO sector
- Must be eligible to serve as a Director in terms Section 69 of the Companies Act 71 of 2008
- Combination of strong grant management, operations, human resource, monitoring, evaluation and report writing, financial and project management skills.
- Knowledge of large donor processes and reporting requirements
- Demonstrated networking and engagement skills with strategic partners across the board
- Knowledge of the Social teaching of the Catholic Church and the Catholic network of charity and assistance (SACBC, Caritas, Vatican Section for Migrants and Refugees) advantageous
- Advanced computer skills, specifically in MS Office as well as programme databases.
- Read, write, and speak in English; other international languages of African migrants (i.e.French) are highly recommended
- Driver’s license and own vehicle
- Willing to travel both locally and internationally
- Attributes such as resilience, tenacity, creativity are highly desirable.
- The ability to think strategically and analytically.
- Good communication and inter-personal skills on all levels demonstrating sensitivity, respect, honesty and fairness in interactions.
- Proven ability to work as a team member within multi-disciplinary teams and excellent networking and liaison skills.
Please email your cover letter, including your salary requirements and your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date for applications will be 7th April 2021
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. SCCT reserves the right not to make any appointment in this position.
SCCT respects the privacy of its stakeholders and will treat all personal information provided in line with our Recruitment Policy and in accordance with the Protection of Personal Information Act.